- Bintan Turtle Conservation
- Lagoi, Kepulauan Riau, Indonesia
- The turtle conservation initiative in Bintan Resorts started in 2004. There are only 1 or 2 nests a month found in the nesting season whereas in 1950's fishermen found 1 to 2 nests a night. The nesting season is from March to September. To date, more than 4000 turtle hatchlings released to the sea. What do we do? Save the turtle eggs, incubate the eggs in hatchery, release the hatchlings together with tourists, volunteers and villagers and give awareness to villagers and students from local schools in surrounding area. By saving them, there’s a hoping to see them more in the future
Wednesday, 15 September 2010
2010 First Release in Club Med
Since 2009, Club Med Bintan have also involved in Bintan Turtle Conservation. They have their own hatchery. They are lucky, because the nesting beach is just beside their resorts.
Three nests were saved and this is their first Green Turtle release.
65 Green Turtle hatchlings were released to the sea on 9 Sept 2010.
One of the tourist mentioned to her son, " Do you know, this is the one in Nemo? '
"Yes...Thanks Mommy, you take me to Bintan to see Nemo', he replied.
I just smiled hearing this conversation :)
Some tips that you can do to save the sea turtle:
1. Do not eat turtle eggs, or turtle meat.
2. Do not use jewelery made from turtle carapace
3. Do not throw away garbage to the sea.